Facilitator: Gina Daugherty, CM
Gina has been involved in fashion since she was in high school, when she worked at Jones Store to coordinate outfits for fashion shows. She pulled a number of clothing items from the clothing exchange closets to show how to put together different outfits using just a few items of clothing.
She started with a few “rules” that she always abides by:
- Leggings are NOT pants. Leggings are fine as long as you cover your bottom – always!
- Buy basic colors in shorts, pants, skirts: black, white, navy, gray, and khaki
- If you wear capris, they need to either come right above the knee or right above the ankle. Otherwise they cut you off and make you look shorter.
- Horizontal stripes should have a print, or the stripes should just be on the sleeves
- Buy a size that FITS – don’t continue to buy too big. Stop buying the size you were – you are not that size anymore.
- For abdominal weight, wear A-line or empire waist tops, and keep them long and “flowy” – don’t wear tight fitting clothing that shows off the “rolls”
- To make you look longer, wear V-necks or scoop necks with a long necklace
- If you don’t love it, don’t buy it!
- Shop at Goodwill (135th & 69 highway is good) or Savers. Other good stores are:
Platos closet (caters more to younger set)
Target, Kohls, Walmart, TJ Maxx and Marshalls
Kohls is great for undergarments by Warners
For men, she had just a few rules:
- Wear only dark color slacks – no white!
- Don’t mix textures
- Buy clothes that fit
You have to take the time to shop; browse frequently and look at mannequins for ideas; reward yourself (not with food!) everytime you lose another 10 lbs, or reach your next goal.