Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the plant. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, high-quality protein, and good healthy fats. Eggs are also rich in two very important antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, that help protect the eyes. Also, one large egg has only 5 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, and zero carbs. This is a perfect super-food that is both weight-loss friendly and inexpensive. Additionally, because eggs are high in protein they will keep you full throughout the day. Eggs are very versatile in the way you can prepare them making them a great meal at any time of the day. If anyone is thinking breakfast-for-dinner….so are we! Because eggs will be such a large part of your daily diet, we want to give you all additional ways to cook them and add in additional flavor!
Tips for Scrambled Eggs:
- For added protein and creamier eggs – add ¼ cup of cottage cheese for every four eggs. Click here for recipe.
- For big fluffy eggs – add 1/4 tsp. of baking powder to egg mixture for every four eggs. Click here for recipe.
- For tangier and creamier eggs – add 1/2 tbsp. of plain Greek yogurt to egg mixture for every three eggs. Click here for recipe.
Tips for Added Flavor:
- For added flavor – add chopped onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, or tomatoes to egg mixture before cooking.
- For added protein and flavor – add black beans to egg mixture while cooking or add refried beans on top after completely scrambled.
- For added protein and flavor – add salsa and cheese on top after completely scrambled.
- For added flavor – add pesto into the scrambled egg mixture while cooking.
- For added healthy fat and flavor – top with avocado chunks after eggs are completely scrambled.
- For enhanced flavor – add salt and pepper to egg mixture before you start cooking.
- For added flavor – saute spinach and pour egg mixture on top to cook.
- For added flavor – add any fresh herb such as dill or thyme to egg mixture before cooking.
- For spicy flavor – add curry powder to your egg mixture before cooking.
- For added protein – add some cooked quinoa to your egg scramble after the egg mixture is cooked.
- For extra spicy flavor – saute diced jalapenos and pour egg mixture on top or simply top with sriracha once cooked.
Convenient ways to make eggs:
- Microwave scrambled eggs – Recipe here.
- Baked eggs in oven – Recipe here.
- Hard boiled eggs in oven – Recipe here.
Overall eggs are very rich in nutrients, versatile in your daily diet, and full of protein. They are an eggcellent and inexpensive way to ensure you are getting your daily recommended amount of nutrients and protein. If you have any specific questions related to this information provided or would like to make an appointment with one of our registered dietitians feel free to contact The Bariatric Center of Kansas City, 913-677-6319. Our specialists can assist you with information and bariatric support.
If you’re interested in starting a bariatric journey soon, sign up to attend a free informational seminar today by registering at: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/the-bariatric-center-of-kansas-city-at-shawnee-mission-health-lenexa-ks-324917613